March is the start of the spring flower bloom season, and there are several varieties and species of flowers to see in the Western North Carolina mountains. See a list of the flowers that typically bloom in March in the Asheville area, as well as suggested spots to view the spring flowers.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Having shoveled snow for too many years in the Midwest, this is my idea of "the perfect Winter scene." Photo taken on our Asheville area farm, Christmas eve 2007.
We recently moved here from West Virginia and the area ripples with the outdoor beauty that we hold so dear. Asheville is especially unique in both its diversity and compassion. I would liken it to a west coast city that somehow found it's way onto the east coast and into the mountains. This picture is of the Blue Ridge Parkway after an icy night. I wish I could show you more of them, I wore out my batteries this morning on these shots.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
- Best Mountain City - Asheville earned the prestigious distinction of best mountain city in the South. Southern Living writer Tanner C. Latham writes: "Asheville epitomizes this category. The Blue Ridge Mountains serve as permanent backdrops—wizened, pointy humps on the horizon—to such an active city. I return often and love to feel the downtown buzzing, especially when exploring the blocks surrounding the Grove Arcade, a historic building full of shops and restaurants."
- Best Resort/Hotel - Asheville accommodations made both first and third place, dominating this category for reader favorites. The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa was first place, and the Inn on Biltmore Estate ranked third with readers.
- Best Country Inn/Bed and Breakfast - Again, The Grove Park Inn Resort & Spa was favored, placing second in this category.
- Best Scenic Highway - The Blue Ridge Parkway earned the top spot for best scenic highway.
- Best Public Gardens - Biltmore was chosen second place as the best public garden in the South.
- ► 2013 (89)
- ► 2012 (225)
- ► 2011 (234)
- ► 2010 (135)
- ► 2009 (126)
- ▼ February 2008 (3)