Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Bring Your Dancing Shoes
Come ready to groove to the beat with special celebrations at clubs that feature live music, guest performances and added extras such as champagne toasts. In the mood for something more formal? Try our Champagne Ball that benefits Asheville's innovative, professional dance company Terpsicorps or swing the night away at the Southeast Lindy Hop Championship.
Enjoy a Night of Music
Intimate venues and great performers make for a music lover’s paradise. Party like a true Ashevillian and get in touch with your southern roots with mountain music at The Grey Eagle and the sultry sounds of the Barrel House Mamas at White Horse. Or come ready to rock with Donna the Buffalo at the Orange Peel and Sirius.B at The Rocket Club.
Plan a Party for Two
If you’re looking for a celebration that’s more low-key, drop in to one of our independently-owned restaurants, coffee houses and wine bars. Chef's tastings and drink specials will be on the menu at many locations around the city.
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Chill Out, Cozy Up
Start the morning out on the slopes for a day of snowboarding or skiing, then come back to the city for a massage that soothes sore muscles. After you’ve worked all the kinks out, check into your room with a fireplace and snuggle up in bed as the fire crackles.
Girls’ Day Out
Gather your gal pals and make like snow bunnies on the trails. After a day of sun and snow, treat yourself to gourmet hot chocolate at one of our independent coffee shops. Then get gussied up and take in Asheville’s night life.
Fun for the Family
Make memories together sliding down the slopes—even the smallest member can enjoy the pure excitement of snow tubing. Fill the afternoon with unique Asheville treats like the Health Adventure and Asheville’s Fun Depot.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Free Offerings that Are Anything but Cheap
- Admire our spectacular downtown fireworks show on Saturday beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Meet jolly ol’ St. Nick in Pritchard Park. He’s taking a break from his workshop to hear special requests and pick up letters from our North Pole Express mailbox!.
- Listen to classical guitar music from James Barr and other local musicians at the Grove Arcade.
- Watch Santa polish his skills as he climbs the 315-foot chimney at Chimney Rock Park. Free with park admission.
- Enjoy a parade with Native-American influences at the Cherokee Christmas Parade.
A Lot of Bang for Your Buck
- Rejoice in the spirit as the Asheville Choral Society performs with a full orchestra at Central United Methodist Church.
- Get dramatic with our local productions of “Dear Santa” at the Flat Rock Community Playhouse and “The Santaland Diaries” at the Asheville Community Theatre.
- See the story of Clara’s magical trip to the land of sweets comes to life as the Asheville Ballet performs “The Nutcracker” at the Diana Wortham Theatre.
- Sample local flavor with Appy Hour appetizer specials at select restaurants on Thursdays and Sizzle Specials on Saturdays.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
2 oz. loaf of pumpernickel bread (thinly sliced)
8 oz. cream cheese
2 oz. local honey
9 oz. jar of green jalapeno jelly
9 oz. jar of hot raspberry jelly
Monday, December 1, 2008
- Magnificent fireworks display downtown beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Gallery of beautiful handmade treasures at the Folk Art Center. Wrap up one-of-a-kind holiday gifts with Appalachian flair while admiring the wares of local crafters.
- Dickens in the Village at Biltmore Village. Step back into time for an old-fashioned English celebration that includes strolling musicians, concerts, refreshments, and carriage rides.
- ‘Twas the Sale Before Christmas at Grovewood Gallery. Find the perfect gift and give back to the community when you shop. A portion of the proceeds benefit Arts for Life, a nonprofit organization.
- “East” West Asheville Holiday Art Walk. Feed your creative juices with a stroll through West Asheville’s local art district.
- Annual Southern Highlands Craft Guild’s Seconds Sale. Their loss is your gain when you shop for unique gifts amongst overruns and discontinued stock from skilled artisans.
- Holiday music featuring Honey Holler. Put a little jingle in your step with a free concert from some of Asheville’s finest musicians at the Grove Arcade.
- Screening of the film William J. Christenberry: A Portrait at the Asheville Art Museum (free with museum admission). Take a journey into the Deep South as this renowned artist reveals the stories behind his photographs, sculpture, and installation pieces.
And that’s just the beginning of the holiday fun Asheville’s offering this weekend. For a couple of bucks, you can enjoy more festivities including live theatre, guided hikes, operatic performances, and more. Check out the complete schedule at Asheville Seasonal Sizzle.
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (225)
- ► 2011 (234)
- ► 2010 (135)
- ► 2009 (126)
- ▼ December 2008 (6)